Friday, November 8, 2013

Blog #3

    During one of our visits with Nepar and her family, we were reading a book with Nepar. I noticed as she was reading, she came across a lot of communication barriers. For example, the words she didn't know should would either skip past them or take a long time to figured out what it said. I really liked watching her work hard on trying to know how to say the words she was reading. I also loved the fact that she was so eager to read and write down words she didn't know because it made me feel like we were making a difference in her life. I think the way she was so accepting of the English language (though it was hard), and the way her family dressed so American is an example of acculturation. Her family definitely kept their Burmese culture alive, but they also adapted to the American way of life in a lot of ways.
     Another thing I noticed while working with Nepar is that every time we were there, when her husband came home from work, she would modestly kick us out. Picking up on this, for me, was like noticing a personal construct with her. Although she was very nice and sweet to us, as soon as her husband came home she wanted us gone, so she could spend time with him.
      After this visit with Nepar, I learned that we have to be patient with people who may seem different than us. It doesn't matter who we are, we were all in her place once trying to learn the English language, so we can't get too frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment