Wednesday, October 2, 2013

1st Day

Yesterday, Tuesday the 1st, was our first day with our refugee family. We got to meet a wonderful mom/wife with two adorable little girls. Prior to meeting our family, I assumed that none of the family members would speak any English. When we actually met them, I was so shocked at how much English the husband and wife has already learned, and they've only been here for 4 months! The little three year old girl can say her ABCs and count to 10! It was still hard to understand what she was trying to say, but she at least knows some English. It was fun to talk about our families together, and to see how excited she was to be learning more English. I can't wait to see what next week holds. On our way to the site, I assumed that we would be presented with a family much different than what I'm used to. While their culture may be different, they have adapted really well to American life. They dress in the American style, they watch the same TV shows that I do, and all this makes it easier to have things to talk about. I expected some type of culture shock for us, and for the family. While the family may be a littler overwhelmed, I didn't feel like any of us felt out of our element. They way they have adjusted here is just so similar to what we see on a day to day basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment