Friday, November 8, 2013

Blog #4

   During our last visit with Nepar, we took her grocery shopping!! First we stopped at a Burmese store which was a very different experience for me. It was definitely cool to see Nepar do her thing, and be so comfortable with her own culture. She bought a lot of vegetables and fish because that's a very common meal in her homeland. After the Burmese store, we took her to Hyvee. For most of the things she was going to buy, she had to ask me what it was. I thought that was a little funny because she was buying stuff even though she wasn't certain of what they were. Once we got to the checkout lane, pointed at a magazine with Prince William and Duchess Kate. Nepar then looked at us and said, "I know who they are! They're from England!" I was excited that she knew that, so then I pointed to another magazine and asked if she knew who the Kardashian sisters were. She said no, so I explained who they are to her. Nepar thought it was funny that they were famous for really nothing, but being rich.
    Seeing Nepar so comfortable in the Burmese store displays attributions. I think attributions fits here because we really got to see the type of person she when she communicates with people from her own culture. She was laughing and just having a great time, and I think that really reflects on her character. Also, when we were talking about the American culture, and the famous Hollywood celebrities is an example of negotiation narratives. I was able to tell Nepar a little bit about our world because our culture is heavily involved in the Hollywood scene.
     After this experience I learned that it's very rewarding to go along with someone, and really get to know how their particular culture acts. When we interact with people from other cultures, it makes us a more well-rounded person. From now on I'll take more time to dive into more cultures, and learn how other people live.

No comments:

Post a Comment